Meet our Lovely Ladies!

KK

Nadine

Wilhelmina

And Blanche
We've finally named our fine young ladies - and we've started experimenting with feeding. So far, they are huge fans of grapes. I've got Wilhelmina eating from my hands! (She's my girl) We fed them yogurt last night, which was hysterical. KK LOVED it and would feed it to Wilhelmina from her mouth. It looked like they were french kissing. I gave them some hot oatmeal this morning - and they ate that right up too!
I feel like the rooster, 'cause I love them all!
ReplyDeleteI love the names! I'd like to hear more about how you came up wih those names. Posting request.
ReplyDeletePosting response.
ReplyDeleteKK, was of course, named after Nate's mom, Kathy.
Nadine was named that because she's a "Dominique" breed, so I wanted to name her something French. The obvious choice would be Dominique, but that is my friend's mom's name (who is also French), so I didn't want to duplicate the name, lest she be offended or it be strange. Nadine was my "french name" back in high school - so I thought it was appropriate -- a little exotic, but also a little red-necky with the appropriate tone. Wilhelmina just came when I looked at the hen, with her wonky beak. She was the Queen of the Netherlands for a long time (I think both World Wars) and she was a husky, tough, and very well respected leader. That particular hen was the first to come up to me and eat from my hands. She's the only one that allows me to pet her at this point. And then Blanche was named that for two reasons. 1) She's white as the day is long. And 2) Nate preferred that name to Bianca, which was the other suggestions my dear two friends suggested. I had originally thought Betsy - but I, too, like Blanche much better. She's the most red-necky of the hens, and likes to get nasty with the others.