In all of my lifetime, Virginia, the state that I love dearly, has never once voted for a candidate of my choice. Never once have the majority of people in this Commonwealth found any inspiration in a Democratic candidate for President.It's a different world. It's a different state. It's a different people. And I am proud.
Before the election, as I drove through the countryside and talked to people in the area, I dared to think it felt a little different. I thought - hey, maybe this time it will take hold. The slow revolution in this small part of the world. I wanted to believe - but I felt a little hesitant. The hand-painted signs declaring Nelson County as Obama Country touched me. I thought - wow, that is dedication. The man I spoke to at a festival in rural Amherst County told me that "W" meant to him, "What the f*%$ was I thinking? TWICE!" If these people were inspired by Barack, like I was, could it possibly come to bear fruit? Could it translate to votes?
Well, it did. I love to think that all of the conversations, the phone calls and doors knocked on by me and so many of my friends had indeed helped this slow revolution in this small part of the world take hold. It had helped turn a staunchly red state a gorgeous regal blue.
Pretty neat, huh?? Who'da thought Virginia... we look good in blue, don't we?
ReplyDelete