Friday, October 3, 2008

And then along came Quinn



Sunday, September 21st 8:30 pm
Rachel calls and tells us that she might be in labor -- not sure, but she'd been feeling a little twingey all day.  I'm packed and ready to go - I'm thinking - hell yea, let's bring this on!  Can we go yet?  No not yet.  Waiting for something solid to go on.

Sunday, September 21st 10:30 pm
Well, that's enough waiting around.  I'm going to bed.  Hmmm.  Can't sleep.  Read a little, turn off light, dosing off.  Ah sleep!

PHONE RINGS!  Wait what - phone ringing!  Rachel on the line - oh shit, I feel nauseous!  She's in labor - for sure.  Shit!  Oh - well I'm up and getting dressed - nervous as all get out.  Oh my god, am I going to pass out?  Am I going to throw up?  Am I going to be able to stomach a birth??  Holy crap.

Sunday, September 21st 11:50 pm
We arrive at Rachel  & Corey's.  Rachel is a champion of labor - I mean a total and complete bad ass!  Immediately I adopt the task of timing the contractions.  Please god, give me something to focus on!  This is pretty cool.  Oddly familiar.  Odd because I have never been near anyone in labor.  Must be in the female chromosome or something, this labor & birthing thing.  Umm, I think they're getting pretty intense, the contractions.  I think this is serious - they haven't called Donna, the midwife, yet.  Hey guys -- maybe you should call Donna?  Sounds serious and like this baby is coming soon, man.  Seriously, Corey - please call Donna.  Ok - they called Donna - they're meeting her soon.  Phew - minor catastrophe avoided.  Michael is on his way.  Holy crap.

Monday, September 22nd 2:00 am
Yep - I was right.  It was serious - this baby is coming soon!  8 cm dilated ALREADY - jesus. Close call.  Yep - we're heading straight to the hospital to the 4th floor to meet them.  Holy crap.

Monday, September 22nd 2:10 am
Wow - this hospital is awesome.  What a beautiful birthing room.  Rachel looks so calm - what is wrong with her?  Why isn't she freaking out?  Ok - I guess everything is ok.  Oh, she's getting in the tub.  It's dark in there, the door is closed.  She's working through her contractions. Sounds painful.  Ouch.  Eeesh.  Getting sleepy.  Close my eyes.  Holy crap

Monday, September 22nd 3:00 am
Ruh roh.  I think this is getting really serious now.  Oh crap - here they come out of the bath.  Ok, I think this is happening.  She's on the bed - crap this baby is coming now!  What can I do, Rachel?  Oh, cold wash cloths on her head - oh ok, I can handle that.  Really - I can totally do that.  Corey is teary-eyed.  Rachel, does this help?  Oh I know.  Man, how can she do this?  Whoa.  Oh my god, there is the head - thick black hair.  Oh, maybe it's a girl - I think it's going to be a girl.  Whoa.  Here comes its head - and now the shoulders and oh my god - IT IS A GIRL!  HOLY SHIT!  Wait, what is all that white creamy stuff all over the baby?  Is that normal?  Oh - it is?  Ok.  Thank god!  That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.  I'm too overwhelmed to even cry.  Holy crap.

Monday, September 22nd 3:19 am
Welcome to the world baby Quinn.  I love you!  Oh my god, I love you so much...
(and by the way, the clock I looked at when we got you out of there said 3:22!  Holy Mimi!)

posted by Marisa


No comments:

Post a Comment