Monday, October 13, 2008

Hen House Fun!


Nate and I really wanted to try out some more farming duties, so we decided to get some egg-laying hens.  We had a heck of a time making our chicken coop.  It took us 3 days of intense (and at times back-breaking) labor to get this monstrosity up and finished.  But - it's pretty sweet.  It has all kinds of clever features:  

1) a human door for feeding, watering & cleaning it out.  2) a chicken door with an attached ramp.  

3) 4 nesting boxes.  4) a roost for the hens to hang out on.  


5) two trap doors for egg collection from the outside of the coop.  

At one point Nate and I realized that because we were sooo invested in making the coop awesome -- that this thing was gonna be pretty good.  And it is.  

The hens are happy - no eggs yet, though.  I've placed 4 hard-boiled eggs to entice them to their nesting boxes.  I'll keep ya'll posted on any laying progress!

5 comments:

  1. M-
    I think it shows how far I am into food and farmers that I am immensely touched by the care you are showing towards your charming ladies. I'm sure they'll reward you with plenty of eggs. I'd like to be a hen in your henhouse...
    love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no wonder there are no eggs yet... they dont leave boiled babies in the delivery room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE GOT AN EGG TONIGHT! IT'S ABSOLUTELY THRILLING!!!

    ReplyDelete