Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hens Home At Last

Nate worked for days to get our new coop up and functional.  He and his nephew, Jason, who was visiting with his girlfriend, Elizabeth, finished the final touches on Thursday morning.  They fastened the last of the chicken wire to the structure and then all three headed down to Amherst to pick up Wilhelmina & Blanche.  

Sadly, they are the only remaining 2 hens of our original 4.  We lost Nadine & KK to dog attacks - and it makes my heart hurt still to this day.  I miss them so much.  

But our hope is that Blanche and Willie will be happy and safe here in Earlysville.  They get less free range, but we try to get them out (only while supervised) each day...

The new coop.  Moveable and capable of housing approx. 6 hens


Jack is wondering what in the world these things are...?  
They are the nesting boxes!

I think they really want to get out of there!


Here's a picture of Jack - he's settling in here in Earlysville and is very happy.  
And curious about those chickens!

And of course - Squash.  We put him in one of Nate's shirts.  
He's adorable.



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT JACK!!! He has eyes like Pippa! So cute!

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coop looks great. I'm about to get Patrick started on my raised garden beds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I keep checking back to see if you've updated your blog and....nothing!! I guess wedding planning and new jobs are taking up your time??? I love your blog, add more please!

    tam

    ReplyDelete