Friday, December 26, 2008

The Happiest Time of My Life (so far...)




I'll recount the tale...

Christmas Eve morning we woke up and Nate had asked if we could open our presents before leaving to go to my parents' house for the holidays.  And since I had only gotten him some small token gifts (ice cube trays, a tea ball, undershirts, and some other really stupid things) I whole-heartily agreed.  I really didn't need all of my family to see how lame of a gift-giver I was! 

We went downstairs and, of course, turned on the ever-present Christmas music.  I got together a little plate of Christmas cookies and made some tea.  We always did this Christmas morning in my home before opening gifts.  It felt right.  Nate suggested that he open all of his first and I thought this was a GREAT idea for two reasons... 1) I thought his presents were funny, so why not tear through them and 2) I really didn't think he had gotten me anything - since we had agreed to not give gifts this year.

Nate opened all of his gifts, laughed at most of them.  He maybe liked one of them... 

Then he asked me to leave the room because my gift wasn't wrapped.  I grumbled about the fact that we had wrapping paper, so.......  I went to the laundry room and waited for a few moments.  He then called me out and walked me partially to the tree.  He said, "There's a little ornament in the tree... Look" and he pointed to a small blue box with a very sparkly diamond ring in it.  I was in total and absolute shock!

At that moment - it was like a force-field came bursting out of the tree and slammed me in my face.  The room spun once, I stumbled back to the right, and then fell right smack down on my butt - hitting the chair on the way down.  I began to sob (and sweat profusely) because I could NOT believe that this was actually happening!!  Nate bent down to his knees (mostly to make sure I wasn't going to pass out on him) and then said, "Will you marry me?"

I screamed at the top of my lungs, with all the joy and love in my heart "YES!!!!!"
And then cried and cried and cried some more.  

It was absolutely perfect and wonderful and now this man will be my husband, my family, my best friend forever.  I love him!


2 comments:

  1. adorable story. just adorable.

    PS. I'll be leave you copious notes on your blog b/c I know how it feels to feel like you are writing to no one! sometimes I'm sure its only Patrick's mom that reads ours.

    ReplyDelete